You Are What You Think

by Connie

Post image for You Are What You Think

If ‘You are what you eat.’, then there must be some truth to ‘You are what you think.’ right?

Sure, one phrase speaks to what we feed our body, and the other speaks to what we feed our mind, but they’re both true, aren’t they?

Each is necessary for nourishing and nurturing balanced and healthy lives.

If you’re frustrated, snarky and feeling like your day isn’t going ‘your way’, well, then guess what?

Your day will continue to go poorly, because:

• You’re attracting challenging situations with your attitude and;
  • That’s the lens which you are choosing to view your world

The Universe is so accommodating it produces exactly what we are looking for or expecting.

We Receive Exactly What We Expect

It reminds me of the story about a visitor who drives to a town.  Since he is considering moving there, he stops a local to ask what kind of people live in the town.  Are they friendly and outgoing?  Or are they hostile and distant?

The local asks what the people are like, in the town the visitor currently lives in.  The visitor mentions that his neighbors are antagonistic and unfriendly; that’s why he is looking for a new home.

The local says, ‘Well, I’m pretty sure you would find people to be exactly the same way, in our town.’

No matter the situation, our view of our world depends on which lens we choose to look through.

Changing Your Life by Changing Your Attitude

On days when you’re impatient, frustrated or snarky you can change your day, simply by changing your attitude and your thoughts, because that will change the trajectory of your outlook and perspective.

It’s your day so that makes it your responsibility to change your perspective.  Which means it calls for you to make choices that support what you’re looking for and what you want out of your day.

If you want things to be different, it’s up to you to make positive choices, with your thoughts.

This is an opportunity for you to practice ‘the Confidence to Choose’.  I’m right there behind you, cheering you on.  So, step into your power.

It’s your responsibility to create, or re-create, the kind of day you want to have.

And days create weeks, and weeks create months and months create years, and before you know it, you’ve created the Life you really want!

That’s very empowering, don’t you think?

How to Give Yourself a Quick Check-up from the Neck-up

The next time you are ‘having one of those days’ let me suggest you re-frame your thinking, using these quick and simple steps.

• Take a deep breath, to center yourself and help you focus.  This will also allow you to step outside of the moment.
  • Re-frame the thoughts and feelings you are experiencing, into a more positive light.  I often ask myself, ‘What am I supposed to learn from this? What is the Life Lesson, in this frustration?’

Sharing My Own Personal Litmus Test

Once I’ve taken a step back, I often find myself amused that I’ve allowed myself to be frustrated and upset over something that matters, so very little.

Over the years, I’ve developed my own personal litmus test to clarify things, for me.  I’d like to share my test with you, now.

I ask myself:

• In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter?
  • Did anyone lose their life?
  • Did anyone lose any limbs?
  • Is anyone bleeding?

If the answers to those questions is ‘no’, it quickly puts everything into perspective.  I know I can deal with whatever annoyance or frustration, (real or imagined), I may be facing.

And always try to remember these timeless rules:

1. Don’t sweat the small stuff.
  2. In the grand scheme of things, it’s all small stuff.

So, what about you?  How do you re-frame your days, when it seems like nothing is going your way?  What secrets do you have that instantly move you towards a more grounded place?

Please share your suggestions and tips with me, by writing a comment in the section, below.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Greg O August 18, 2010 at 8:09 pm

I guess tonight I’m pork and beans!! Good post Connie! I’m on to conquering this mountain in front of me. I can see it dissolving as I type!

Connie October 21, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Greg, We all have so much going on that it’s hard to keep all the balls in the air, at the same time. I’m confident your attitude towards ‘dissolving the mountain in front of you’ will serve you much better than becoming immobilized by it, because you’ve allowed yourself to become overwhelmed. Baby steps, baby steps…
Connie

Jon Humberstone August 19, 2010 at 7:53 am

Hi Connie,
I usually get all bent out of shape when I start thinking that things ‘should be’ different than they are…”They ‘should’ be better drivers and not cut me off,” “this computer ‘should’ always work and be completely intuitive,” “you should know what I am thinking and act accordingly without further explanation.”

So, I have gotten into the habit of asking myself, “where is it written?” That is my short hand for reminding myself that there is not a book of ‘rules of the universe’ where it is written that all drivers will behave as expected this Tuesday in Massachusetts, or that I am guaranteed a life where the dishwasher never goes on the fritz.

Once I remind myself of this, it removes all the ‘extra’ suffering so I can just deal with ‘what is,’ which is not always pleasant, but always much more manageable without the extra emotion that I feel when I am expecting things to be different than they are.

Connie October 21, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Hi, Jon, I love your personal paradigm shift of, ‘Where is it written?’ That really puts things into perspective, quickly. My husband reminded me just the other day that, ‘You are only as frustrated as you allow yourself to be.’ I’ll love these little mantras that appear in my Life. I’ll be adding yours to my repertoire, indeed. Sometimes we all need those little reminders, don’t we? Thank you for sharing your experience, with me. Connie

Krystyna Domagala November 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm

” * In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter?
* Did anyone lose their life?
* Did anyone lose any limbs?
* Is anyone bleeding?”

Thats a great way to put it! Life has speed bumps, but the road is still there.

Connie December 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Krystyna,

Those few questions I’ve created have proven themselves to be a pretty quick litmus test. They quickly help sort through minor inconveniences and frustrations, vs. true crisis and emergencies.

Connie

David June 6, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Great article. You are right, in the grand scheme of things its all small stuff. There is so much out there in this universe! We are just one galaxy of the millions. We tend to over dramatize every single thing that happens to us. Putting things into perspective is so important because it makes people think with their logic instead of their temporary emotions.
You might also like David\’s recent post..Self Improvement SystemMy Profile

Connie June 7, 2011 at 8:22 am

Hi, David,

Thanks for your feedback and for your post suggestion.

Everything is energy. We should ask ourselves, ‘Do we want to invest (+) or (-) energy into a given situation?

I’m all about feeling, but without dramatic negative emotions swirling around.

Logical, unemotional thought works best to providing an accurate and balanced perspective.

Connie
You might also like Connie\’s recent post..Are You AntsyMy Profile

Vishal D June 6, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Hey Connie, I agree with what you have stated here. It is so true and yet not realized by many.
I have written something similar to this on my blog- http://www.ultimatepotentialblog.com/2010/08/talking-to-yourself.html
Do check it out!
Cheers

Connie June 7, 2011 at 9:35 am

Vishal,

I read your post and agree with it, whole-heartedly.

It relates very closely to a post I wrote recently about something I experienced, during a class I was taking.

You can read that post here: http://thepowertolive.com/2062/does-your-self-talk-playlist-need-editing/

I appreciate your readership. You can also find The Power To Live on facebook, too. I’d appreciate it if you’d ‘like’ my page.

Thanks for this exchange. I look forward to more convo’s in our future!

Connie

Chetan July 8, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Dear Connie, thanks for the post and cheering for us :)

Most part of my life went in negative thinking due to various reasons. I try to come out from that situation slow and steady but it take a long time to come out.

I do agree that if we think negative then everything is going to look or turn negative for us and from few years I have started reading books/blogs and that helped me alot.

I learned about Law of attraction in books called “Secret”. Recently I lost my job but positive thinking did not allow me be victim of such hard situation but rather I am learning to improve in area where I need to improve and also planning to study and give exam in Aug 11 so that I can apply for better job.

Also I have taken running as serious sports so I keep myself fit and positive and be around positive friends…

When I lost my job I asked myself that does mean I do not have money to eat for today or tomorrow (I do have money for food.) There are many people in world who earn on daily basis and for them it will be hard situation if they lose job (I thank god for giving me better situation then others.)

Chetan

Connie July 11, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Chetan,

Thank You for taking the time to comment on my site. I appreciate your feedback!

Congratulations on realizing that you have more to gain from choosing a positive attitude, rather than a negative perspective.

I was raised in a family of pessimists and while it can be challenging to swim against the tide, I’ve found it to be well worth it.

I’ve gained much from choosing to be an optimist. The greatest gift I’ve received is seeing and receiving more and more into my Life; more love, more beauty and certainly more bounty.

I encourage you to continue reading and exploring about the Law of Attraction. I still do, as there is always more to learn and absorb.

I’m sorry to hear about your job loss, but I truly believe that it’s bringing you one-step closer to where you are supposed to be in your Life. It may even be an opportunity that you wouldn’t have considered, if you were still employed.

It may be hard to consider or accept some days, but this is an exciting time of expansion and of your unfolding in the Universe and the world. I’m thrilled for you, Chetan! As Dr. Seuss said, ‘Oh, the places you’ll go!’

It’s wonderful that you’ve been able to focus on your running, too. I feel it’s an important part of my Spirituality; for me to be physically active, to feel my heart pounding in my chest and for me to test myself mentally, by testing myself physically.

Being physically active is also a great way to connect with Nature and the wonders of the world around us, while relieving stress. It’s great that you’ve found running friends who share your positive outlook, so you can support each other.

The Power To Live was born when I was separated from a job I loved. It gave me a creative outlet, while keeping me active and my computer skills engaged. I love what I’m doing and connecting with people all over the world.

I appreciate your help in spreading word about The Power To Live blog with others. If there’s someone you know who may enjoy or benefit from the site, please do share it with them.

Best of luck to you on your exam, although it doesn’t sound like you’ll need it, Chetan. Write back and let me know how things go…

Connie